Going abroad



The tabs on this page provide you with details on the Going Abroad Checklist. This information will help you complete what is on the "Pre-departure arrangements" section of the list.

Last updated on 23 September 2020.

If you already know you will be going abroad for your studies or work placement, then the pre-departure sessions organised by the IO are an unmissable event for you. They provide you with all the practical information you need about grants, emergency situations, insurance and lots more. You also have the chance to ask any questions relating to your specific situation.

The pre-departure sessions take place in April and November. Be sure to attend in April if you will be leaving in September. If you will be travelling in February, then the November edition is the one for you. You can attend them in both Breda and Den Bosch. Check the Studentinfo calendar for the upcoming edition.

Information session at your school

A number of Avans schools also host information sessions on this topic for their own students. More information about this you can find at your Avans school.

Last updated on 26 February 2020.

Visas and permits for studying and training in the Netherlands and abroad

The Netherlands is part of the European Economic Area (EEA). As an EEA citizen, you do not need a visa for study in a different EEA country. Completing a work placement or getting a job alongside your studies is also allowed without having to apply for a work permit.

If you hold non-EEA citizenship or if you plan to travel to a non-EEA country, different rules apply.

EEA countries

The EEA comprises all the Member States of the European Union: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom. Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway are also EEA members.

Visas and permits for non-EEA countries

Obtaining a visa, residence permit or work permit for another European country is, generally speaking, relatively easy for EEA citizens.

The procedure for non-European countries is less straightforward. Getting a visa for a work placement in the United States or Canada is particularly difficult. The application process can take months, sometimes up to a year! Developing countries also may take a long time to process an application. Make sure to start your preparations in good time.

Fulbright Center support for US placements

The Fulbright Center can arrange visas for students who plan to do a placement in the US. This centre has years of experience when it comes to supporting students and arranging visas for students looking to complete a work placement in the United States. They also offer support to graduates and information on how to arrange a placement in the US.

Useful websites

Depending on the country, you may have to obtain a visa, work permit or residence permit. The United States, Canada, Australia and a number of other countries require you a arrange a combined visa and work permit before departure.

Information about the requirements for the destination of your choice is available on Wilweg, a website operated by Nuffic. You can request any documents you need or contact the embassy of the country you plan to visit.

Permits for non-EEA countries doing work placement in the Netherlands

You are residing in the Netherlands because you are studying here. You have a residence permit for the purpose of study and will retain this during your work placement. If this is the case you will not need to submit an application to change your purpose of residence.

If you have a valid residence permit for study issued by Avans, you do not have to apply for a work permit if you use a standard work placement agreement. If you are a non-EEA national carrying out a work placement in the Netherlands, you are obliged to enter into a standard work placement agreement with your employer.

This applies to you because you are in principle required to hold a work permit - Dutch: Tewerkstellingsvergunning or TWV - due to your nationality. You do not have to apply for this work permit if you use the standard work placement agreement. Note that you do need to secure a work permit if you use a different agreement format, for example one offered by your work placement company. For this reason, we recommend you use the standard work placement agreement.

You can only carry out a work placement if you actually hold a residence card. If your application for a residence permit or extension is still pending, you cannot start the work placement.

Work placement allowance

Receiving an allowance for your work placement has consequences for your tax liability, social security status and your obligation to take out healthcare insurance.

Reimbursements of expenses such as travel costs can be paid out tax-free. Allowances for living expenses, however, are classified as wages by the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration and these payments are therefore taxed. You must pay income tax and national insurance contributions on any other financial allowance paid. This is because, as a trainee, you benefit from national insurance in the Netherlands.


Last updated on 20 February 2020.

You can find all information about the Erasmus+ grant on a separate page.

Last updated on 20 February 2020.

Once your request for a stay abroad has been granted, you are required to complete the Contact Information section in Osiris. Please state when and by what mode of transportation you plan to travel to your destination, your accommodation details and details of a person you want Avans to contact in case of an emergency. This can be a family member for example, or a close friend. Do not submit details of a staff member of your school here.

Temporary address

Please submit the details of the educational institution or work placement company under 'address' if you have not found any permanent accommodation yet. Once you have, you must update these details in Osiris. You can update them at any time. Note that it is mandatory to complete all the fields of the Contact Information section!

More information is available from the Contact Avans immediately in case of an emergency abroad page.

Last updated on 8 April 2020.

More information about insurance abroad you can find on the insurance page.


Last updated on 11 March 2020.

You might find it useful to calculate how much money you have at your disposal. This may include any savings you have, a loan from the Dutch Education Executive Agency DUO or a grant or scholarship. Creating a budget helps you avoid any unwelcome surprises.

Last updated on 15 January 2020.

We recommend you start arranging your trip as soon as you receive confirmation of acceptance from the educational institution abroad.

Last updated on 15 January 2020.

Accommodation for studying abroad

Universities abroad often have their own campuses where you can rent temporary accommodation. Be sure to contact the institution where you will be studying.

Last updated on 23 January 2020.

Subletting your room in the Netherlands

Subletting your room to an incoming exchange student while you are studying, training or graduating abroad offers many advantages. You do not have to pay double rent and you ensure your room will still be yours when you get back.


Last updated on 23 January 2020.

Get public transport compensation abroad

As an international student you may currently receive financial aid for studying from the Dutch government. If you do and you remain enrolled at Avans when you travel abroad as part of your studies you can, in many cases, continue to receive this aid. As part of this you are entitled to public transport compensation for every month you are abroad. This also applies if you are only eligible for a loan.

Get public transport compensation abroad

  1. Obtain permission from your department to study abroad.
  2. Enter your contact details abroad in Osiris. This is compulsory.
  3. Enter the contact details of a person Avans can contact in case of emergency. This is compulsory.
  4. Make sure you have arranged your re-enrollment, including confirmation of your digital direct debit authorization.
  5. Access your personal page on the DUO website.
  6. Download the public transport compensation abroad form.
  7. Have the form signed off by the Student Support colleagues. You can do this in person, but also digitally. Please be aware that the Student Support cannot sign off the form unless you have proof that your department has given you permission to study abroad. 

Note that, before you travel abroad, you must log on to Osiris and record both your contact details abroad, and those of a person Avans can contact if something serious happens to you. This contact could be one of your family members, or a close friend. Do not submit details of a contact person from your Avans school. For more info on recording contact details, check the Emergency contact page.

More information

Please visit the DUO website for details about this compensation. This information is only available in Dutch.


Last updated on 25 January 2023.

You might need to get vaccinations before you can travel to your destination. To find out more about this, please consult the GGD municipal health service website.

Last updated on 15 January 2020.
Avans goes Abroad

Facebook group

Join us!